Cauliflower, Leek and Broccoli Cheese : A Tasty Savoury Gratin
1 large cauliflower, cut into florets
1 head broccoli, cut into florets
50g/1¾oz butter, plus extra for cooking the leeks
baby leeks (approx. 150g/5½oz), sliced
500ml/18fl oz milk
4 tbsp flour
200g/7oz mature cheddar, grated
6 tbsp fresh breadcrumbs
salt and pepper
1. Preheat the oven to 220C/200C Fan/Gas 7.
2. Cook the cauliflower and broccoli in boiling water for 5–6 minutes until just tender. Drain well and tip into a deep baking dish.
3. Melt a knob of butter in a frying pan and fry the leeks for 3–4 minutes, stirring frequently until softened. Arrange them in the dish with the florets.
4. Heat the milk, flour and butter in a saucepan over a medium heat, whisking constantly until the sauce comes to the boil and thickens. Reduce the heat and whisk over a low heat for 1–2 minutes. Remove from the heat, stir in 150g/5½oz of the grated cheese and season to taste.
5. Pour the sauce over the vegetables and sprinkle over the breadcrumbs and the remaining cheese. Bake for 20 minutes or until the top is golden brown and bubbling.
All the best Jan