Taking a classic American cookies recipe and flipping it inside out! For these low carb thumbprints, I made a chocolate cookie with a peanut butter center. They are fun and delicious.
Do note that the consistency of your filling will vary depending on what peanut butter you use. If it’s very oily and thin, you may need more powdered sweetener to help thicken it up properly. I also recommend a pinch of salt, if it’s unsalted.
Low Carb Inside Out Peanut Butter Blossoms
- 1 ¾ cup almond flour
- ¼ cup cocoa powder
- ½ tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp salt
- ½ cup butter, softened
- Granulated sweetener equivalent to ⅔ cup sugar
- 1 large egg, room temperature
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ¼ cup creamy peanut butter
- 2 tbsp butter
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- Powdered sweetener equivalent to ¼ cup sugar (more if needed)
- Preheat the oven to 325F and line a large baking sheet with a silicone mat or parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the almond flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, and salt.
- In a large bowl, beat the butter with the granulated sweetener until well combined. Beat in the egg and vanilla extract, then beat in the almond flour mixture until thoroughly mixed.
- Roll into 1 inch balls and place an inch or so apart on the prepared baking sheet. Press down lightly with the heel of your hand to about ½ inch thick, then use your thumb to create a well in the center.
- Bake about 10 to 12 minutes, until a bit puffed. They will still be quite soft quite soft. Remove and let cool completely.
- In a medium microwave safe bowl, combine the peanut butter and butter. Melt on high until it can be stirred together. Stir in the vanilla extract.
- Whisk in the powdered sweetener until smooth. Let rest for 10 minutes or so to cool and thicken (should be a thick glaze consistency – add more sweetener if needed to thicken).
- Spoon the filling into the wells of the cookies and refrigerate until set, about 30 minutes.
For the cookies:
For the filling:
Copyright © 2009-2016 Diabetes Media Foundation, All Rights Reserved. ASweetLife™ is a trademark of the Diabetes Media Foundation, All Rights Reserved.