Every holiday table deserves a rich and cheesy holiday gratin. Rutabagas are a medium-carb root vegetable, offering more sweetness and structure than turnips and zucchinis but substantially fewer carbs than potatoes, just right. In this recipe, we slice rutabagas thin and mix them thoroughly with a cheesy cream sauce, ensuring that every little surface makes contact with the cream. Add a touch of fresh thyme for a more fragrant holiday treat.
- 1 large rutabaga (2.5-3 lbs)
- 1½ cups of heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon salt
- fresh ground black pepper
- 1 clove garlic, zested/minced/pureed
- 2oz Swiss or gruyere cheese, grated
- 2oz Parmigiano cheese, grated
- Pre-heat oven to 350F.
- Peel rutabaga.
- Slice rutabaga into large bite-sized pieces, about 1/8 of an inch thick.
- In a large bowl, toss rutabaga with all other ingredients. Separate slices of rutabaga that are clinging together so every surface gets coated in cream.
- Roast for 45-60 minutes, or until rutabaga is soft throughout.
Copyright © 2009-2020 Diabetes Media Foundation, All Rights Reserved. ASweetLife™ is a trademark of the Diabetes Media Foundation, All Rights Reserved.