What’s better than shortbread during the holidays? Shortbread stuffed with chocolate, of course! These sweet almond flour low carb shortbread cookies are filled with a “kiss” of sugar-free chocolate and lightly dusted with powdered sweetener. Pretty, festive, and absolutely delicious!
Low Carb Chocolate Stuffed Shortbread Cookies
- 3 ounces sugar-free dark chocolate, chopped
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- Powdered sweetener equivalent to 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 1/4 cups almond flour
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Additional powdered sweetener for sprinkling
- In a bowl set over a pan of barely simmering water, melt the chocolate and butter together, stirring until smooth. Let cool 5 to 10 minutes until slightly thickened.
- Use a small spoon to dollop 1 tsp of the chocolate at a time onto a waxed paper lined tray to create small chocolate blobs. If the chocolate is too runny, let it set for a few minutes more. You should get about 22.
- Freeze the kisses while preparing the cookie dough.
- Preheat the oven to 325F and line a large baking sheet with a silicone mat or parchment paper.
- Beat the butter with the powdered sweetener until well combined, then beat in the vanilla extract. Beat in the almond flour and the salt.
- Roll the dough into 1 inch balls, and then flatten each into a patty. Place a chocolate “kiss’ on the patty and fold the dough around it, sealing the chocolate in completely. Use a little extra dough if you need it.
- Place cookies at least one inch apart on the prepared baking sheet. Bake 12 to 15 minutes, until the edges are just barely golden brown.
- Remove and let cool completely on the tray and then sprinkle with powdered sweetener.
Copyright © 2009-2016 Diabetes Media Foundation, All Rights Reserved. ASweetLife™ is a trademark of the Diabetes Media Foundation, All Rights Reserved.