Mediterranean Lamb Stew with Olives
2 tbsp olive oil
500g lamb neck fillet, cubed
1 onion, sliced
2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
125ml dry white wine
400g tin chopped tomatoes
2 x 5cm strips orange peel (pith removed)
2 sprigs thyme
1 red pepper, sliced
handful pitted Kalamata olives
sourdough or crusty bread, to serve, optional
1. Heat 1 tbsp olive oil in a large pan. Add the lamb and cook for 5-10 mins until browned all over. Remove from the pan and set aside.
2. In the same pan, heat the remaining oil, add the onion and cook for 5 mins until softened. Stir in the garlic and cook for 30 secs more.
3. Increase the heat and pour in the white wine. Bring to the boil, then leave to bubble for 2-3 mins until the liquid has reduced by half.
4. Return the lamb to the pan, along with the tomatoes, orange peel, thyme sprigs and 200ml water. Leave to simmer gently for 1 hr, adding a splash more water if needed.
5. Add the red pepper and olives and cook for a further 20 mins, until the peppers have softened. To serve, remove the orange peel and enjoy with some sourdough or crusty bread, if you like.
Other Popular Lamb Recipes
Rick Stein’s : Lamb Casserole with Aubergine / Eggplant – see here
All the best Jan