The real name for this deliciousness is “Hidden Vegetable Taco Soup”. I love using veggies like zucchini or cauliflower to help thicken a healthy soup like this. You don’t taste them at all and you end up with a rich, hearty flavor and texture. The added nutrients are a huge bonus! My whole family gobbled it down without complaint.
- 1 tbsp avocado oil
- 1 ½ lb ground beef
- 3 tbsp taco seasoning
- 12 ounces frozen cauliflower florets
- 1 lb fresh tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 1 fresh jalapeno, chopped (remove seeds for less heat, leave them in for more heat)
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- In a large saucepan or stockpot, heat the oil over medium heat until shimmering. Add the beef and cook until almost all the pink is gone, about 10 minutes. Stir in the taco seasoning (if your seasoning is salt free, add a tsp of salt too).
- Use a slotted spoon to remove the beef to a bowl. Add the cauliflower to the pan and sauté a few minutes to soften. Then add the tomatoes, jalapeno and garlic, and sauté another few minutes. Stir in the chicken broth.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to medium low and simmer until the cauliflower is soft, about 8 minutes. Transfer to a blender and blend until smooth, or use an immersion blender.
- Return to the pot and stir in the cheese until melted. Stir in the beef and serve with your favorite taco toppings like avocado and additional shredded cheese.
Copyright © 2009-2020 Diabetes Media Foundation, All Rights Reserved. ASweetLife™ is a trademark of the Diabetes Media Foundation, All Rights Reserved.