Can’t go wrong with a classic flourless chocolate cake for the holidays! Super rich, with deep chocolate flavor, this low carb chocolate cake is perfect served with after-dinner coffees. The only garnish it needs is a touch of lightly sweetened whipped cream and a few fresh berries.
Keto Flourless Chocolate Cake
- 6 ounces unsweetened chocolate, chopped
- 6 tbsp unsalted butter
- 4 large eggs, separated
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp cream of tartar
- Powdered sweetener equivalent to 3/4 cup sugar, divided
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp warm water or coffee
- Preheat the oven 350F and grease a 9-inch springform pan. Line the bottom with parchment paper and grease the paper.
- In a heatproof bowl set over a pan of barely simmering water, combine the chocolate and butter. Stir until melted and smooth, then remove the bowl from the pan and let cool to lukewarm.
- In a large bowl, beat the egg whites with the salt and cream of tartar until foamy. Slowly add ½ cup of the sweetener, beating continuously, until the mixture holds stiff peaks. Beat in the vanilla extract.
- In a large bowl, beat the egg yolks with the remaining sweetener for several minutes, until lightened and thickened. Slowly beat in the melted chocolate. The mixture will become very thick. Beat in the water or coffee.
- Fold in the egg whites in three separate additions until no streaks remain. Spread the batter in the prepared baking pan and set the pan on a cookie sheet.
- Bake 30 to 40 minutes, until puffed and just barely firm to the touch. Remove and let cool completely in the pan, then run a sharp knife around the edges and loosen the sides.
- Serve with lightly sweetened whipped cream, if desired.
Copyright © 2009-2020 Diabetes Media Foundation, All Rights Reserved. ASweetLife™ is a trademark of the Diabetes Media Foundation, All Rights Reserved.