The best keto sweets, in my opinion, don’t need alternative starches because they’re already naturally starchless. Pot de crème is an incredibly rich French pudding that sets without cornstarch or any other thickener, just good old eggs and heavy cream. The only substitution you need to make is for sugar—add your favorite alternative.
I use allulose, my favorite zero-carb sweetener, which has no weird off flavors or aftertaste. It melts into the pudding perfectly. The texture of this pot de crème is luscious, rich and smooth, and I don’t think anyone would be able to tell that it’s low-carbohydrate.
Top it off with some fresh whipped cream!
Keto Dark Chocolate Pot de Crème
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 4 oz very dark chocolate, chopped
- 4 egg yolks
- 3 tablespoons allulose or other low-carb sweetener
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- In a small bowl, whisk together egg yolks and allulose/sweetener until light and frothy.
- Heat the cream and salt in a small saucepan over a medium flame. Whisk continuously until just below the point of simmering.
- Remove pan from heat, add chocolate, and whisk to combine.
- With a ladle or large spoon, add a very small amount of hot chocolate-cream mixture to the bowl with the eggs, whisking continuously. Continue adding one ladle at a time, slowly, whisking as much as possible, until about one-third of the chocolate-cream mixture has been added to the bowl with the eggs. The idea is to warm the eggs up without scrambling them.
- Pour the egg mixture into the saucepan, and place it again over medium-low heat.
- Whisking continuously, heat the mixture until it visibly thickens (do not let it boil!). Take it off heat immediately.
- Pour mixture evenly into 6 ramekins. (You can also pass the mixture through a strainer to filter out little bits of scrambled egg, if there are any.)
- Pot de crème can be enjoyed warm or chilled. If trying it warm, wait for it to cool down until the custard has mostly solidified, at least 30 minutes. Otherwise, refrigerate for 2+ hours.
Copyright © 2009-2020 Diabetes Media Foundation, All Rights Reserved. ASweetLife™ is a trademark of the Diabetes Media Foundation, All Rights Reserved.