Coconut & Lemon Cake
90g coconut flour
40g inulin powder or a tablespoon of granulated sugar substitute
125g butter, melted
Zest & juice from 1 lemon
30g desiccated coconut (unsweetened)
Pinch of salt
Lemon Cream Cheese Frosting
180g full fat cream cheese
30g inulin powder
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 tbsp coconut flakes (optional decoration)
1. Pre-heat the oven to 180°C.
2. Separate the egg whites from the yolks and add the egg whites to a bowl.
3. Whisk the egg whites to form stiff peaks.
4. In a separate bowl combine all the other cake ingredients apart from the inulin.
5. Mix the inulin into the cake mix gently until well combined.
6. Fold in the whipped egg whites.
7. Pour into a pre-prepared cake tin and place in the centre of the oven for 45 minutes.
8. Remove from the oven and allow to cool whilst you prepare the frosting.
9. To create the frosting combine the cream cheese, vanilla, lemon zest and lemon juice in a bowl.
10. Slowly and gradually stir in the inulin.
11. When the cake has cooled, remove from the tin and spread over the frosting.
12. Sprinkle with the coconut chips if using.