Yesterday I had no idea I was going to make these buffalo garlic glazed chicken nuggets.
Scrolling through IG like I do, I saw these glazed chicken nuggets from a restaurant in NYC.
I immediately wanted to recreate the recipe and I am so happy I did!
Do you count WW points for the oil it’s fried in?
My deep fryer is electric so it holds the temperature at exactly 350 degrees, so it sears the outside of the food and cooks it, and isn’t greasy. You get greasy food if you cook the food at too low of a temperature of if your oil is dirty. I change my oil after every tenth fry. If your oil isn’t clear and you can’t see the heating element in the fryer, that’s when you know it’s time to change the oil.
Can you air fry these nuggets?
Yep! Preheat the air fryer for 5 minutes at 360. Cook for 6 minutes, then bump the temp up to 400 and cook 3-4 minutes longer.
How do you make fries?
Each weekend I bake off 3 to 4 potatoes in my microwave, then store in the fridge to use later in the week. Not only does it speed up the cooking time, but cutting cold potatoes is a lot easier. This time I sliced the potato in rounds, and deep fried them for 4-5 minutes. You could also air fry these as well – since the potatoes are already cooked I cook at 400 for about 7 minutes.
- For the glaze:
- 1 teaspoon avocado oil
- 3 cloves garlic, roughly chopped
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons buffalo sauce
- 1 tablespoon sugar free confectioners sugar*
- 1 teaspoon corn starch
- up to 1/4 cup water if you need to thin the glaze out
- For the chicken:
- 4 ounces boneless, skinless chicken breast, cubed into nugget size
- 1/8 cup self-rising flour
- 1/8 cup cornstarch
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 cup egg whites
- 1/8 cup
- 1/8 cup almond milk
- Heat deep fryer to 350 degrees.
- In a skillet, add all the glaze ingredients and cook over medium low heat, until thickened. About 5 minutes. You may have to add up to 1/4 cup water to thin out. Set aside.
- In a bowl, mix the flour, cornstarch, salt, pepper, garlic powder, paprika, cayenne and baking powder. Mix.
- Mix the egg whites and almond milk together in a separate bowl.
- Dip the chicken in the liquid, into the flour, toss to coat and repeat that process twice.
- Fry for 6-7 minutes. Drain on paper towel. Add chicken to glaze and toss to coat – I find its easier to add the glaze to a big bowl and toss the chicken in the bowl.
- Top with chopped fresh parsley for garnish and serve with ranch dressing for dipping.
If air frying, preheat the fryer at 360 for 5 minutes. Spray with avocado oil and cook at 360 for 6 minutes and 400 for 3 minutes. Toss in the glaze after cooking,
You can also pan fry these in a tablespoon of avocado oil.
On #teamblue and #teampurple the chicken is 6 points, on #teamgreen it is 9 points. If you count calories or macros, its 391 calories, 8 fat, 43 carbs, 1 fiber and 30.7 protein.
If you love potatoes, you should check out my butternut squash baked potatoes.