I know the recipe title black bean and quinoa cakes with shrimp and spinach chimichurri is long – but holy balls – this recipe is so good!
The base of this recipe is again my friend Nicole’s black bean and quinoa burger mix. Her recipe makes 6 burgers, but I use the filling for so many things.
Yesterday for lunch I had some cilantro that was about to go bad, so I decided to make black bean and quinoa cakes out of the filling, top it with shrimp and this spinach chimichurri.
Since I added chipotle pepper to the chimichurri, I lost a bit of the vibrance that the sauce typically has. So I decided to add fresh baby spinach and that was the best idea evah! Promise you won’t taste it. This sauce is bright, slightly spicy, herby and I literally want to put it on everything.
I recently bought a bag of this Oishii shrimp from Marinano’s and am in love with this shrimp. It’s U-12, which means they are big – 12 shrimp per pound. The bag costs $10, so it’s only $2.50 a serving, and seriously tastes like lobster.
- For the black bean cakes:
- 3/4 cup of the black bean and quinoa mix
- 1/4 cup Panko bread crumbs
- For the shrimp:
- 3 ounces shrimp
- salt and pepper
- For the chimichurri sauce:
- 1 cup cilantro (I used leaves and stems)
- 6 cloves roasted garlic
- 1 tablespoon Italian dressing
- 1 chipotle pepper
- 3 tablespoons vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2/3 cup grapeseed oil
- 1 cup spinach
- Mix the black bean mixture with the panko bread crumbs. Shape into three patties and freeze for 15 minutes.
- Salt and pepper the shrimp, and pan fry in avocado oil spray until just cooked through – about 4 to 4 minutes depending on the size of the shrimp.
- In a food processor or blender, blend the chimichurri sauce until completely smooth – this may take a couple minutes with the cilantro stems and spinach.
- Heat skillet with avocado oil spray over medium heat. Put the frozen patties in the skillet and cook for 5 minutes a side – do not flip before the 5 minutes otherwise they will fall apart.
- To plate: place cooked patties on the plate, top with shrimp and drizzle with the spinach chimichurri sauce.
I used 1/6 of the black bean and quinoa burger filling for this recipe. On #teampurple one serving is zero points, on #teamblue it’s 2 points and on #teamgreen it’s 4 points. The shrimp is zero on purple and 1 point on blue and green. The chimichurri sauce is 2 points for 2 teaspoons on all plans.
The link to Nicole’s black bean quinoa burger can be found here.
Side note: make sure not to skip the part about freezing the patties before cooking – that way they will stick together and you’ll get this amazing crust. So good!
Another sauce that I haven’t made in a while that I want to put over everything? This butternut squash queso – it’s a lighter version of my friend Jessica’s recipe.
Are you a fan of chimichurri? Let me know if you try this!