There is something so comforting about chopping veggies on a Sunday afternoon to make beef bolognese.
Because I used Butcher Box ground beef (80/20) it is high quality and has such a richness flavor, you don’t need to use much, there is only 8 ounces of beef for 10 half cup servings.
This sauce is so rich and delicious. Don’t be afraid to use 6 ounces of tomato paste because it makes the sauce taste as if it’s been simmering all day.
It’s also a great way to use up veggies at the end of the week that didn’t get eaten. Adding mushrooms also helps boost the beefy flavor.
Sundried tomatoes also add a depth of flavor too. Just be sure to buy them stored in water, not oil, so they are zero points on all plans.
If you don’t care for beef, I have a chicken bolognese sauce here – that is delicious too! If you are vegan or vegetarian, I also have a lentil bolognese that is delicious and ready in about 30 minutes.
Butcher Box has a special going on until the end of the month. For new customers, you will get two pounds of grass fed, grass finished beef in every box – FOR LIFE! It doesn’t matter if you buy a box once a month or once a year, you’ll always get the free beef in each box. You can check it out here.
Let me know if you make this recipe!
- 1 cup mushrooms, sliced
- 1 cup carrots, sliced
- 1 cup celery, sliced
- 1/4 cup sundried tomatoes, chopped
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 6 ounces tomato paste
- 2 14 ounce cans of tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 8 ounces ground beef (I used 80/20)
- 1 cup beef broth
- salt and pepper to taste
- Heat a stock pot with avocado oil to medium heat. Add garlic and cook for 2-3 minutes. Add in the mushrooms, carrots, celery and sundried tomatoes. Saute for five minutes.
- Add in remaining ingredients (except the beef) and simmer for 15 minutes, or until the veggies are fork tender.
- While the sauce cooks, pan fry the beef, drain any fat and set aside.
- Using a stick blender, puree the sauce. Stir in the beef. Enjoy!
Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving:
Calories: 112Total Fat: 4gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 20mgSodium: 173mgCarbohydrates: 11gFiber: 3gSugar: 6gProtein: 9g